Hi there, thanks for dropping by. I’ve managed to fly solo for a very long time, but after many years of honing my skills, and much success as a freelance web developer, my business has grown to the point where I need more hands on deck. I’m now looking for a focused, driven, and determined individual who
is interested in is really passionate about a career in web development.
What do I do?
I spend most of my time developing custom WordPress themes and plugins. I work collaboratively with some very talented designers; I handle the ongoing technical needs of a number of high-traffic websites; and I’m the go-to developer for a few high-end, boutique agencies that produce incredible designs for their clients.
My primary focus in all the work I do is high-quality output. My experience tells me that this isn’t common practice for many people in this industry, so there is definitely a healthy market for this approach.
What I’m looking for
I’m looking for an individual who has a real drive for learning web technology. You need to be focused and you need to be determined. I don’t expect you to have Uni degrees or TAFE certifications – it’s great if you have them, but I see more value in someone who is driven to constantly learn through experience. Your skills and experience are far more important to me than qualifications, so examples of your work will go a very long way!
Ideally, you would be local to me (Geelong), as it would be great to have you work in-house to start, but I’m open to remote candidates as well.
If you have a solid foundation with web technology and you are willing to learn and adapt to my processes, I want to hear from you!
What I’m offering
I’m offering the opportunity to learn from my 10 years of experience while you hone and develop your skills as a web developer. We’ll mostly be working with WordPress and you’ll learn a lot about providing high-end solutions using the WordPress system. I’m open to two possible arrangements:
- A sub-contract agreement where you will work for me, learning my systems as we go, and use the skills and experience I give you to build your own freelance business. The goal being to develop your knowledge and experience with my systems so that I can continue to contract you to handle ongoing work which, essentially, fuels your business.
- Casual/part-time employment with the possibility of working towards a full-time role as you gain the skills and experience I need in a team member (in-house only).
Ideally, I’d like to train you to be a successful freelancer and keep the work flowing in your direction. For this to be successful, I’ll need you to develop strong skills and a tenacity for producing the kind of high-quality results my clients are used to.
- Working knowledge of HTML & CSS – mobile responsive principles Should be something you are focusing on.
- Ability to convert a PSD to a webpage.
- Attention to detail (this is very important)
- A strong desire to learn!
Desirable Skills (not essential)
- Experience using task runners (Gulp, Grunt)
- Experience using Git
- Experience with build tools such as SASS, Compass, & Browserify
- Experience with WordPress;
- Installation and set up of the WP core, themes, and plugins.
- Customisation of pre-built themes through the use of a child theme.
- Some experience building custom templates.
- Experience using WordPress hooks and filters.
- Custom theme development
- Custom plugin development
- Moving sites between hosts
- Familiarity with the Advanced Custom Fields plugin
- Familiarity with the Gravity Forms plugin
- A basic understanding of the PHP language – WordPress templating is a good start.
Bonus Skills (not essential)
- An understanding of OOP principles
- Experience using package managers (NPM, Composer)
- Experience with MySQL, particularly in the context of WordPress
- An understanding of DNS/MX
If you think you have the basic skills needed and you really do want to learn to be a solid developer, fill out the following form